Monday, September 12, 2011

Kiev Landmark - St. Vladimir's Cathedral


Prince Vladimir of the Great of Kiev (980–1015) is not the first Christian ruler, but the one who introduce the Christianity to whole Kievan state and baptized his people.


The Cathedral was built in 1892.


This yellow is a very common color in Kiev. Sergei told me that historically this is a very low cost color material. Then it seems that it simply has become a color of tradition.


The admission is free, although the privilege to take pictures was 50 rph. In Ukraine, it is a very common phenomenon to charge for photography privileges. The prices vary from 3 rph to 50, for what I have experiences. This place was the highest for some reason.


It is rule that men must be hats off and women cover their hair. Although occasionally I see some women do not wear head scarf. But it does not mean they are not pious.


Sergei said there is a real mummy in this coffin. It is not a big coffin. I figure the person could not have been taller than me. For today's Ukrainians' standard, it is pretty short.


Some did notice that there was a Chinese behind them holding a camer pointing to their back. But no one had any issues with it. They are rather pre-occupied.


I kept getting surprised how common in Ukraine it is today that people devote themselves (in difference degrees, I am sure) in the religion.


Notice the candles. They are thin and long. I don't know enough to say. But I thought the Catholic ones are different. Maybe not.


This is a typical Russian Orthodox Church. Lots of gold, flashy interior, no seating. Sergei also told me that there is no preaching in Orthodox'es Sunday services. So if I were to be a priest, I would probably choose to be an Orthodox priest. Easier. But then I might have to learn Russian or Ukrainian.







No comments:

Post a Comment